Building Tarped Loads
These loads are very easy to build. I was taught this technicque by my friend Ray. I wanted a tarped load for a gondola or flat car. You could also make small models you could place on a station platform or have it on a semi trailer. The process would be the same. As an aside you can also make tents using the same process as this.
I started by cutting a piece of 1/4" thick masontite to a size that would fit in the gondola. I cut plywood in to pieces that I then glued to the masonite. You can use any shapes you like. You could also use tubing to make tarped vessel loads. I then laid a kleenex over the load. ( I also make bed sheets for a clothes line by pulling apart a kleenex to get thin sheets). I put the masonite up on blocks so the kleenex can hang over the edges. I then mixed up some thinned white glue and put it in a spray bottle and misted the white glue on to the kleenex. You can make minor adjustments but the tissue will tear very easy. The kleenex will adhere to the form under it like you see below. When it is dry I trim off the excess n tissue below the masonite.
I then airbrushed it with a tarp colour and then added some dusting of chalks. You could also install a magnet to help unload it but over time that may tear the kleenex. It is tough enough to remove it by hand. Give it a try.
i
No comments:
Post a Comment