Thursday 17 August 2017

CNR 2nd Class Station

I scratch built this station from various plans and pictures I could get my hands on. It is mostly based on the station in Big Valley Alberta. The eve on the back side of the station has been shortened to fit the space.

See this blog post for how I layout this building. How I build all my scratch projects

The inside of the outside walls, interior walls and ceiling were then painted a dark grey.

This station had stucco applied to the walls. Lots of modelers use sandpaper to get the texture. I chose to take a different approach. I cut strip styrene the width of the bumpers and eve supports on the outside walls and glued it on with tacky glue. I then sprayed each wall section with 3M glue and sprinkled on very fine sand ( .004 grain size), shook off the loose sand, and repeated the last step again. I then rolled it with a tube to make it stick better. I then painted it white to seal the glue and sand. The strip styrene was then removed and  new strip styrene was painted CN green #12 and glued in place for the bumpers.

 I then built the freight doors and made adjustments to the Tichy windows so they matched CN type. 

 I then painted the windows and the doors CN Green #12 and Cat Whisker Yellow as this seems to match the cream used by CN. I then used Weldbond white glue applied to the back of the windows for my glass instead of cutting clear polystyrene. Once you practice this a bit you can make very convincing glass. I use this on all my engines and vehicles that need glass also. Once this was dry I glued in the windows and the doors. I cut out coloured paper for the blinds and taped these in place.

 I glued the walls together along with the floor and interior walls and fitted in the ceiling. I put bracing in the corners and along the floor. While doing this I cut the holes for the platform lights.

Now I started on fitting the roof panels in place. Once I was happy with how they fit I added the rafter tails to the underside of the roof along with the support beam that rests on  the eve supports.

 I went to the Camrose station and took measurements for the eve supports, drew one up in Cad so I had a gluing template and cobbled them together, painted them and glued them in place on the wall. At this point I installed the lighting under the eaves.

For roofs that have cedar shingles I use Campbell Scale shingles. They are easy to apply and they take light coats of paint well. I did not use the card stock supplied as it is only good for small roofs. I again go to my Cad and draw out lines with the same spacing as Campbell uses and print this on an 8.5 x 11 paper. I then spray the roof panel ( plain .04 styrene ) with 3M high tack and glue ( use a cardboard box for the spray booth ) on the paper. You only get one chance to to apply the lined paper. Start along one edge and then lay it down and smooth out any bumps. You may want to practice this on some scrap to get the hang of it. You then apply the shingles the same as you would if you were using the card stock. Once they have had time to dry I airbrushed the shingles red using only a couple of very light coats and used some chalks to add further weathering. I used a piece of card stock to protect and act as a mask. I just held the sheet in my hand and sprayed. I had to move the station around a lot to get the roof all covered.

The fascia boards were then attached, along with the signs. The signs are printed using the right font size. I then cut out the station name leaving a little space, glued it using a kids glue stick to a 2x12 and then trimmed the paper and cut the 2x12 to length to fit the station name length.
The platform/floor was built with styrene following the process above to cut it out. I used scribed sheet and strip on the edges. I marked the inside of the station walls and that was painted wood brown. To weather the platform I used this process found at that was used on the flat car deck. With a little practice it works very well and I use it a lot. There are also some other ideas on this site you could also use for weathering wood. Platform lights will be added later.